Friday, January 2, 2009

Review of Gran Torino

Quotable Quotes:
“And who was that
goofball guy you were with?
Was that a date
or something?”

"Get off my lawn."


The Film:
An aged Clint Eastwood does his best
to smile, or not smile, the same old
grimace. this time almost. falling off
his face. Rough life, lonely now;
since the first. scene at her funeral.
Character development, analyzed and
edited into camera angles and panning
shots, developing through swearing,
gestures, and throwbacks to outlaw
past lives. He clings to almost
antique guns from a time when shooting
someone meant something. Our hero sits in
a dark room with a cigarette and glass
in his knuckles. Decisions to be made
implode and string the audience along
until the end, which is, like the beginning,
a funeral.

The Movie-Going Experience:
I couldn’t follow the first fifteen
minutes because all I could think
about was how I wanted to move
up the armrest out of the way.
That son of a bitch cradled you when I
could have been and bumped my elbow
when I leaned. Or maybe I
was just too high. It’s hard
to tell.

Final Words:
I need to buy me a rifle.

No comments: